Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cyberbullying


I had been reading Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online by Anastasia Goodstein when I was sent an e-mail about a seminar that was going to be given by a police officer on cyberbullying.  I had been to a seminar given by this same officer a couple of years ago and had decided that I wasn’t going to go. 

After reading the chapter on cyberbullying in the book, I decided that I would go to hear what he had to say.  Things are different now then they were just a couple of years ago and it seems that teens and tweens have a lot more ways to access the digital world now then they did then.  He talked about how kids were using tweets and posting pictures to photo sharing sites in addition to the other social networking sites that were popular with them a couple of years ago. 

Both the book and the police officer gave examples of real world situations—some were about empowerment and some were very sad. 

The officer said that cyberbullying was not just a juvenile problem but also a community problem.   He talked about monitoring mobile devices, computers, and connected gaming consoles.  Since libraries are part of the community and often offer these devises for check out or use in the library, I looked at a few public library internet/computer use policies and found them to be similar library to library. 

I did an article search and found a couple of interesting articles in the Young Adult Library Services Journal.  “Stick, Stones, and Words Can Hurt You:  Antibullying Resources” by Madelene Barand offers a list of books, fiction and non-fiction, for teens and adults as well as a list of online resources.  The officer talked about using stories such as Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as an example of bullying, a story well known to all kids.  “Cyberbullying and Teens What YA Librarians Can Do to Help” offers information about who the bullies are, who their victims and what YA librarians can do to help.  There is also a list of resources and information about reporting cyberbullying. 

I’m interested in it, I am sad about it, and soon I will be dancing about it.  Some of the schools in the area are bringing in a group to have an assembly for middle schoolers about bullying and cyberbullying.  My principal asked if I would be willing to be in one of the skits, a hip-hop style dance, and I agreed.  I apparently have a 75-minute rehearsal to attend that morning—I am part of the community.   We’ll see how it goes.  



Agosto, D. E., Forte, A., & Magee, R. (2012). Cyberbullying and Teens What YA Librarians Can Do to Help. Young Adult Library Services, 10(2), 38-43.

Barnard, M. (2009). Sticks, Stones, and Words Can Hurt You: Antibullying Resources. Young Adult Library Services, 8(1), 33-39.

Goodstein, Anastasia. (2007) Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online. New York, NY: Saint Martin's Griffin.

2 comments:

  1. I've read a few different articles about the different psychological effects the internet has been having on people. Cyberbullying is one of the mentioned facets. I don't remember the exact term, but because web allows you to be completely anonymous more and more people are participating in cyberbullying that would never consider such a thing in real life if there were consequences. It's a pretty interesting subject to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste, I thought your post was very resourceful and definitely a major concern. We had an agency come in and put up a display on bullying and we helped by displaying our books we had from our collection. I have been wondering what else we could do as a library to address this concern in our community. So, thank you for your information.

    ReplyDelete