Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Books to Movies


I have been thinking about books that have become movies and it seems that I am not the only one.  One of the blogs I have been following posted a list of YA books that are being released as movies

I was thinking about a couple of books to movies that were not on that list.  One would be the Twilight series with the upcoming release of the last Twilight movie.  I remember when the first one was released in 2008.  All the girls in my class had read the book and were going to the opening night screening (yes, they went to a midnight show on a school night).  They were so excited and couldn’t wait to tell me about it the next day.  I don’t recall any of the ones released after that getting the same reaction.  One of my students did tell me today that she was looking forward to seeing the next one.

This year it was The Hunger Games.  All spring students were talking about the books and the movie.   Not just the girls in the class but the boys read these books and saw the movie as well.   I feel like the Harry Potter books/movies generated enthusiasm with the girls and boys as each one was released. 

Twilight, Harry Potter, and The Hunger Games were popular books at the time they were made into movies.  I feel like a lot of kids and adults read or reread the Narnia books when the movies were released and the same goes for the Lord of the Rings movies. 

So, will kids read books like The Hobbit when the movie is released?  Do libraries have books that are movies displays in the YA and children’s sections?  Should they?  What about having a launch party at the library when the movie is about to release?  Win copy of the book in a raffle? Or better yet, check out the book and get your name in a drawing for free movie tickets (maybe the theater will donate a couple of tickets)?

2 comments:

  1. You read my blog! How very cool! And thanks so much for including the hyperlink for your own readers. You rock! :)

    And to answer your Hobbit question: my coworkers (in different branches) are already getting buzz about their Hobbit release parties. We can't keep the book on our shelves. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a little late in seeing this post, but could not resist responding. We've considered putting together a "Read it Before you See it" display in our school library before summer to highlight upcoming summer movie releases. I ran out of time last year, but hope to do it this year! It's amazing to see how students get excited before the movie when they realize that they can know the ending BEFORE the movie release. I LOVE the idea of the free movie tickets, especially if you can get them donated. You never know unless you ask!

    ReplyDelete