Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Cool--I can get my sister to check it out for me"


So that is what I heard today from one of my students.  We were going over homework at the end of the day and the students were talking about book report books.  One young man mention the book he wanted to read and another told him that it wasn’t at our school library.  I seized the opportunity to teach them how they could find out where they could check it out in our area.  I asked if they knew where they could look online.  They knew that they could go to the public library website to see if the book was available there and sites for purchasing the book.  My interactive whiteboard was on and connected to my computer so I loaded up the WorldCat site.  We put in our zip code and the title of the book.  Sure enough you could find it at our public library but it was also ‘on the shelf’ at two of the local high schools.  You can search WorldCat from the public library site but it requires some setting changes.

Hopefully, I have given my students another tool they can use when looking for specific books…. and this young man’s sister checks something out for herself too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment